Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: milkshape models ??  (Read 6749 times)

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
milkshape models ??
« on: January 17, 2005, 02:02:53 PM »

are there some default modells for milkshape i can work with. or where can i download already animated models.
somebody knows a link ??

greets stucki

NPC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: milkshape models ??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 05:01:46 PM »

There are plenty of Half Life models you can download from the net.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/downloads/index.asp?game=3&sort=date&order=DESC
there are quite a few to play around with there,or just google for "Half Life characters" to find more.
The trinity model was a HL model i think for a HL mod.
Hope that helps  :)

NPC

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »

thanks for helpiing.

yes there are many models to play around with.
but how can i get them into milkshape. Sorry i am absolutely new to 3d charackters but i want to get them into our game ...
pleas help ....

stucki

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 11:58:31 AM »

I don't own Milkshape, but maybe you need a special HL-import plugin, or some software to convert the HL-Models to another format?

I guess the best place to search for an answer would be the Milkshape-site if no one here knows the answer.

NPC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 01:53:01 PM »

Stucki no problem.Its very simple  ;)

Ok,once you have some HL(Half-Life) models you have found and downloaded,you need to decompile them.

(1): Unzip or extract,so you end up with a folder containing the .mdl file (this is the HL file format).So suppose you downloaded a model called "Neo.zip",you would extract it,and end up with a folder with a file called "Neo.mdl" and a couple of textures in it.

(2): Fire up Milkshape3D,go to the menu...Tools---> Half-Life --> Decompile Normal HL MDL File..
navigate to the folder where you extracted the .mdl file.Select and open it.A dialogue box will open with some options.Reference,Sequences,Textures and .QC File.Leave all checkboxes as they are(ticked).Click on OK to start decompiling the HL model.

(3): Now,if you look in the folder where you extracted the model to,you will see there are a lot more files there now! with the extension .smd.Go to File -->Import-->Half-Life SMD and choose a reference file to import.(usually they will be the same name as the model).

(4): You now have a static(non-animated) character model open inside of Milkshape3D that should also be textured.right click in the 3D viewport and tick "Textured" and uncheck the "Wireframe Overlay" to show the textured model properly.

(5):This is just simply to get you started(i recomend you read some tutorials on using milkshape)
There are some good video tutorials here:
http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=1650
Bit of a pain getting them from fileplanet sometimes,so you will have to sign up for a 'free' account to download them.

(6):In the right hand corner click on the "Animate" button,then go to File -->Import-->Half-Life SMD and choose one of the many animations(.smd files) in the same folder as your model.

A dialogue box will pop up with these options (Triangles,skeleton,rename bones),leave them ticked and click on OK.You will be asked "Do you want to append the animation at the end of the current animation?" just click yes for now.

Now try pressing the 'play' button to see the model animate.

WME uses binary Milkshape3D files for importing into the engine.So you will be saving to .ms3d.
You will need to read through the WME documentation for understanding the actor defination file that is needed,and using the models in your game.

Hope that helps.Let me know if anything is unclear.

NPC

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:16:52 AM »

thanks a lot NPC that helped me out .... !!!!! 8)
maybe today i find the time to try it
if there are new problems i will let you know..

greets
stucki

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.