Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: How much memory does Molly take up in video memory?  (Read 3347 times)

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
How much memory does Molly take up in video memory?
« on: August 13, 2006, 05:03:22 AM »

After examining Molly's files it appears that her height is just over 256 pixels. So is she being internally scaled then to 128x512 at 32 bits times her number of frames? That seems like it would be a pretty decent amount of memory for her. Also, is there a way to do a video dump easily like you posted for Project Joe Mneumonic? Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:19:59 AM by Mnemonic »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: How much memory does Molly take up in video memory?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:58:49 AM »

There's the Game.DumpTextureStats() method.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »

Thanks a bunch Mneumonic. I suppose I should search the documentation more instead of asking a bunch of annoying questions here. But here is one more for good measure.

Why is it that molly, and really none of the sprites Im using are scaled up in their "real size"? Her memory usage appears to be much lower than what I expected. If we can use graphics without scaling them up but infact just using uncompressed sprites at the same resolution that would greatly impact what resolution we use for our main characters. Thanks!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:49:06 AM »

Why is it that molly, and really none of the sprites Im using are scaled up in their "real size"?
Aren't they? I didn't try dumping the stats for Molly, but I'd expect them to be bigger, since they need to be resized to powers of 2.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 06:14:32 PM »

Why is it that molly, and really none of the sprites Im using are scaled up in their "real size"?
Aren't they? I didn't try dumping the stats for Molly, but I'd expect them to be bigger, since they need to be resized to powers of 2.

No nothing in my scene was scaled up. I tried resizing some sprites I had at 512x512 down to the size they only needed to be after seeing this was happening. As a result the dump showed I saved a ton of space in the scene when I did that. Nothing was scaled up to a power of 2, but they were set at 32 bits of course. I was actually surprised (happily so) to see that since it would allow me to make the game more accessible but if it's a mistake I will temper my happiness about it for now.  ;)

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.