Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Copy Protection  (Read 4819 times)

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Copy Protection
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:58:50 PM »

Hello once again-
    Is there a way to institute copy protection for commercial games?

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Copy Protection
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:25:14 PM »

WME supports Starforce protection scheme (from 1.4). If I am not mistaken, SafeDisc and LaserLock are both independent so you don't need direct protection.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »

I suppose I was more interested in software protection like serial numbers or something since the game will most likely be download only.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »

then it's very easy to script. For example you just put in some edit box and parse the input, which you compare with some algorithmic result and in case of inequality you call Game.Quit();

Then after successfull registration you write for example some value into registry or generate some file on harddisc with a key, which tells game, that it was already registered so it won't bother player anymore. This registry / file should be unique for installation or others will steal it.

This idea is not bulletproof but no protection is, so it's just another way how to annoy players. :)

Just note, that people who will steal he game won't buy it anyway,  so using no-protection scheme saves you time and don't loose you that much money :)

Edit: morning typos
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 09:03:18 AM by metamorphium »
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

The nice thing about having protection in scripts is that it's harder to crack, because the cracker has to figure out (at least partially) how the compiled scripts in WME work. Of course, it's nothing a determined cracker couldn't do, but at least it might slow them down a bit more than "routine" exe cracking :) (or maybe I'm naive)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 11:10:21 AM »

Mnemonic: the narrow neck of this scheme is that somehow this information must be stored somewhere, so the player doesn't need to enter this each time around. Simple registry entry or file generator will skip your script protection unless it's really computer / game personalized.

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 08:38:15 PM »

then it's very easy to script. For example you just put in some edit box and parse the input, which you compare with some algorithmic result and in case of inequality you call Game.Quit();

Then after successfull registration you write for example some value into registry or generate some file on harddisc with a key, which tells game, that it was already registered so it won't bother player anymore. This registry / file should be unique for installation or others will steal it.

This idea is not bulletproof but no protection is, so it's just another way how to annoy players. :)

Just note, that people who will steal he game won't buy it anyway,  so using no-protection scheme saves you time and don't loose you that much money :)

Edit: morning typos

I would say that's arguable as far as not losing much money. My first job was in retail at Software Etc. (before it became Gamestop) and all of our loss prevention techniques were meant to "keep the honest people honest." A thief won't buy your product just because it's harder to steal...that much I understand.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 09:00:48 PM »

This is going kind of topic but.... I've never seen any proof that any copy protection mechanism helps a company in not loosing money. Actually I've never seen any proof that there are indeed lost money.  ;)
fl*p

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.