Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: WME String Table Manager beta  (Read 8869 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
WME String Table Manager beta
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:09:19 PM »

EDIT: String Table Manager is now part of the WME installation package.

Warning: This is beta software; it can still contain bugs. Always backup your project first. String table manager directly modifies many files of your project and if something goes wrong it could do lot of damage in a very short time.

This program requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, which can be downloaded here.

I'm releasing the program separately for testing purposes. It will be later integrated into WME installation package.

Download WME String Table Manager Beta (130 KB)

WME String Table Manager is a simple tool for extracting all in-game texts from your WME project and export them to a string table for localization purposes. It also modifies the game files and scripts and replaces the original string occurences with their "localizable" form. For example this line in the script:

Code: [Select]
this.Talk("Hello, miss.");

will become:

this.Talk("/str0003/Hello, miss.");

And the generated string table will contain the extracted string:

str0003 Hello, miss.

For more information on localization support in WME please see the "Localization" chapter in the documentation.

Quick user's guide

Start the program and fill in the two text boxes. Choose a path to your WME project file (.wpr) and a path to a string table. You can either select an existing string table file, or a non-existing. In the latter case the file will be created.
Additionally you can check or uncheck the "Backup old files" option. It is recommended to leave this option enabled.

(Note: If you have the project file open in WME Project Manager, please close it, otherwise String Table Manager won't be able to save the localized name of the game to the 'default.game' file.)

Once the paths are set, click the "Scan project" button. String Table Manager will extract all strings from the project and load the contents of the original string table (if any). It will then try to automatically remove all strings which are not supposed to be translated (e.g. event names, item names, file names, scene node names etc.).

After the project is scanned, click the "Manage strings" button. It will open a new window which contains all the localizable strings on the left and all the ignored string on the right. Now please carefuly examine the lists. If there are still some strings left which shouldn't be localized, you can move them to the right list. Right-click the item and choose either "Ignore item" or "Always ignore item" from the context menu. The "Always ignore" command will add the string to the global ignore list, therefore next time you scan the project, this string will be automatically ignored.
Similarly, you can return any ignored string back to the left list by right-clicking it and choosing the "Unignore item" command from the context menu.

The left list allows you to choose several items at once by checking the check-boxes on the left or using the "Selection" submenu in the context menu.

Make sure the left list only contains strings which are supposed to be translated. Now you can assign the unique string ID to each of the string. You will probably want to choose multiple items before assigning the IDs.
Choose one or more items, right-click and select the "Assign string ID..." command from the context menu. Now you need to choose the string ID itself. You can choose any word/code you want, for example "str". You can either assign the same code to all the strings in the game, or you can use different code depending on the string context (for example, you might use different codes depending on which character uses the line).

Fill in the code and click OK (the window offers you all the codes previously used in your project). String Table Manager will now assign the chosen code to all the selected items, and it adds a number to make the string IDs unique.

After all strings were assigned a string ID, click the "Close" button and return back to the main window. Here you can save the changes back to your project files by clicking the "Save changes" button. This command will add the new strings to the end of the string table, and it will replace the original strings in your game files/scripts with their localizable form (see above).

You can go through this entire process multiple times, as you add new game content. String Table Manager will extract all the newly added strings and you'll be able to assign a string ID to them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:33:23 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: WME String Table Manager beta
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:13:38 PM »

amazing tool.

The only features I miss are

1, Item weeding. If you have multiple strings with the same contents it could group them under one ID.
2, Range selecting (maybe through "Set Start Mark" "Set End Mark" logic) so I can quickly select range of strings.

But all in all huge kudoz to you. this tool  ::rock  ::rock  ::rock totally.

here's to you ::beer ::beer ::beer
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 01:11:09 PM »

If i understand it is unable to manage an already assigned string ?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 01:13:57 PM by leucome »
Look my Site ——► http://news.leucome.ca

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »

No, it should handle strings already augmented with string ID ("/some_id/some_string"). If the string has an ID assigned and it's already in the string table, it's ignored by the tool. If it has an ID and is not yet in the string table, the tool will load it and it will allow you to either keep the old ID or assign it a new one, and save it to the string table.

Are you having some troubles?
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 01:25:13 PM »

It is because the first time i used it many of my own string id where in the list and the second time nothings...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 01:31:04 PM by leucome »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:29:21 PM »

Maybe. You can achieve that easily by removing the strings from the string table, though. Then they will re-appear in String Table Manager.

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:31:42 PM »

Oh yes... good idea ...
Thanks

Mac

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:13:37 AM »

Hi,

I just gave it a try and this will be a very helpful tool. I was about to write something like that, but it would have never been this good. It will make wme just more perfect.  :D

I found a small bug: If you use the scrollbar buttons the borders of the tables mess up. If you click the scroll-up button the horizontal lines disappear and if you click scroll-down the lines are in the text (like strikethrough).

A range selection feature would be very time saving, since there are lot of blocks of 20 lines or such in our project that should be ignored by the tool. And ignoring each of them is quite frustrating with more then 3.000 entries in the list.

Maybe there could be a message saying 'Starting up manager - This could take a while' or something if one click on the 'Manage strings' button. I waited an eternity (nearly three minutes  ;)) and thought it crashed ...

Thank you for this tool.

Regards
Mac

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I found a small bug: If you use the scrollbar buttons the borders of the tables mess up. If you click the scroll-up button the horizontal lines disappear and if you click scroll-down the lines are in the text (like strikethrough).
I'm afraid this is Windows bug. The combination list-view with checkboxes and gridlines and Windows XP visual themes enabled causes this painting glitch.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »

Maybe there could be a message saying 'Starting up manager - This could take a while' or something if one click on the 'Manage strings' button. I waited an eternity (nearly three minutes

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.