Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Sprite order problems and crashes  (Read 3844 times)

Mac

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Sprite order problems and crashes
« on: February 28, 2007, 03:13:31 PM »

Hi,

the Beta testing for our game has started and we have some serious problems. First, there are problems with sprite orders in nearly all scenes that have foreground sprites in them. For example we have a bar scene with two foreground sprites. One, for some tables that should be in the foreground and an additional fog sprite. The problem is, that in some cases the actor is in front of the foreground sprites instead of behind. You can enter the scenes ten times and two times of it, the actor is in the front. Does anybody else experienced such a problem?

The second thing is that there are rare crashes when entering some scenes in the game. The involved scripts only contain very basic stuff and it only occurs (like the other problem) sometimes. I tested and tried a lot of thing for some time now, but don't have a clue yet.

Mac

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Sprite order problems and crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »

...For example we have a bar scene with two foreground sprites...
If you say foreground sprites, does it mean they are in a separate scene layer?
Make sure the actor is always inside some scene region. If he's outside any region, the drawing order can be indeterminate.

The second thing is that there are rare crashes when entering some scenes in the game. The involved scripts only contain very basic stuff and it only occurs (like the other problem) sometimes. I tested and tried a lot of thing for some time now, but don't have a clue yet.
wme_crash.txt would be helpful.. Are you able to replicate the crashes on your development machine?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mac

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

If you say foreground sprites, does it mean they are in a separate scene layer?
No. They are just sprites entities and I put them below the floor region in the entities list in scene edit. I thought that would be enough and I only use layers for parallax scrolling. Should I put the fog layers and so on into a seperate layer?

wme_crash.txt would be helpful.. Are you able to replicate the crashes on your development machine?
It's like it always is ... on my machine everything works right ... I'm currently waiting for a save game from one of the testers. Then I'll try to get a wme_crash.txt and then I'll post it here.

Mac

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:06:50 PM »

No. They are just sprites entities and I put them below the floor region in the entities list in scene edit. I thought that would be enough and I only use layers for parallax scrolling. Should I put the fog layers and so on into a seperate layer?
It should be enough, as long as the actor is always inside a scene region.

It's like it always is ... on my machine everything works right ... I'm currently waiting for a save game from one of the testers. Then I'll try to get a wme_crash.txt and then I'll post it here.
If you ever need to generate the file on the tester's machine, they'll need to copy the BugslayerUtil.dll to the game directory (and it only works on NT-based Windows).
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mac

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »

It should be enough, as long as the actor is always inside a scene region.
Yes. The actor is always in a scene region. That shouldn't be the problem.

If you ever need to generate the file on the tester's machine, they'll need to copy the BugslayerUtil.dll to the game directory (and it only works on NT-based Windows).
The BugslayerUtil.dll is enough? No need for debugmode (using wme.ini) or something?

Mac

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »

Yes, the DLL is enough. And if you want to make my life easier, you can also copy the wme.pdb file to game directory.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.