Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: "far" vs "total commander" :)  (Read 7323 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
"far" vs "total commander" :)
« on: June 15, 2003, 11:43:59 PM »

(total commander is at least as powerfull as far

That's questionable ;) Hehe, let's start a flame war! ;D

HEY! I am trying really hard not to make every thread off-topic! :) Try to help me :) :) :) :) :) (That's the reason, why I post it here :) :) :) :) :) )

Back in action again: Really? Can we start our own private flaming war? :) I am joking ofcourse.... :) :) :) :) :)
Oh, and I found a 7zip plugin also (among with some other excellent plugins, including the syntax hightlightiing one).
If anyone is interested visit http://www.maxwish.tk/
It has A LOT of plugins for tc.

The only thing that we can't change is that "total commander" has a "windows user interface" while "far" has a console (=agly IMHO :)) interface! :) ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS. I am not feeling good to advertise those two shareware programs! :) Is there any good opensource alternate? (linux has the console mc...)
PS2. I just notice that there are a lot of smilies into this post!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
PS3. Maybe it's a good idea, the posts in the "general category" don't count as posts for the members with all those off-topic threads! :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 11:46:54 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:"far" vs "total commander" :)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 07:42:03 AM »

HEY! I am trying really hard not to make every thread off-topic! :) Try to help me :) :) :) :) :) (That's the reason, why I post it here :) :) :) :) :) )
LOL ;D

Back in action again: Really? Can we start our own private flaming war? :) I am joking ofcourse.... :) :) :) :) :)
I was joking too, of course. I believe we are all mature enough not to start any flame wars :)

Oh, and I found a 7zip plugin also (among with some other excellent plugins, including the syntax hightlightiing one).
If anyone is interested visit http://www.maxwish.tk/
It has A LOT of plugins for tc.

And there are *hundreds* of FAR plugins at http://www.farmanager.com/ Of course, I'm using about ten of them :)

The only thing that we can't change is that "total commander" has a "windows user interface" while "far" has a console (=agly IMHO :)) interface! :) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey, I thought you'd appreciate the console interface, leaning towards Linux etc. ;)
As a programmer, I definitely prefer the console. It's so easy to run different command-line applications without each of them opening a new ugly console window!

Plus, FAR allows you to color the filenames depending on their types, which is IMHO much more transparent than the windows icons. FAR also allows you to put certain file types to the top of the file list (such as executables and archives), which is *extremely* useful (TC wasn't able to do that last time I checked). And I could go on and list thousands of those little goodies which make your work easier. But I won't :) I'm not here to force anyone to use any program. But I see most people are using Total Commander and I just wanted to point out there are other alternatives, and *some* people think those alternatives are FAR better ;)

But to be objective, there's one think I like on TC and it's the ability to diff two binary files. Actually, it's the only reason I have TC installed on my computer :)

PS. I am not feeling good to advertise those two shareware programs! :) Is there any good opensource alternate? (linux has the console mc...)

I don't know of any.

PS2. I just notice that there are a lot of smilies into this post!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seems so ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS3. Maybe it's a good idea, the posts in the "general category" don't count as posts for the members with all those off-topic threads! :) :) :) :)

I don't think the YaBB guys thought about this feature yet :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 08:25:59 AM »

Hey, I thought you'd appreciate the console interface, leaning towards Linux etc.

In every OS I prefer different things. For example, I really like the "windows interface" of tc for the windows OS, BUT I loved "midnight commander" in linux.

And I have to add that for the last months I don't have a linux installation here... but I will again in the feature.... althought my windows OS looks like like linux with all those opensource programs and ofcourse cygwin -with a kde desktop! :) - installed.

Plus, FAR allows you to color the filenames depending on their types, which is IMHO much more transparent than the windows icons. FAR also allows you to put certain file types to the top of the file list (such as executables and archives), which is *extremely* useful (TC wasn't able to do that last time I checked). And I could go on and list thousands of those little goodies which make your work easier.

Color filenames are possible with tc too (but I don't like it, so I am not using this feature). About the second feature : I don't know if it exists in tc (maybe it doesn't as you say, but I don't really need it).

But I won't I'm not here to force anyone to use any program. But I see most people are using Total Commander and I just wanted to point out there are other alternatives, and *some* people think those alternatives are FAR better

Yeahh, alternates are always good! :) As fas as I know there is another one similar program : speedcommander, which seems to have the most colorfull, windows-style interface of all. But it tries to be a whole-in-one program so I doesn't have all those plugins that far and tc have.

Oh... and I checked the plugins of far. I must say that are really impressive! A few things that I haven't found in tc plugins yet (maybe they exist, maybe not) : Calculators with different possibilities, games (what's this? - console games? :)), Spell checker functions while editing text in FAR editor (that's really cool!) and External programs executing (compilers, converters etc.) while editing text in FAR editor (another cool plugin!).
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 02:12:57 PM »

In every OS I prefer different things. For example, I really like the "windows interface" of tc for the windows OS, BUT I loved "midnight commander" in linux.

OK, maybe we should just agree to disagree about our filemanagers ;)

Yeahh, alternates are always good!  As fas as I know there is another one similar program : speedcommander, which seems to have the most colorfull, windows-style interface of all. But it tries to be a whole-in-one program so I doesn't have all those plugins that far and tc have.

There's another one I know of, the Servant Salamander (cool name, btw :-)
http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/

games (what's this? - console games? )

Bwahahaha ;D
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.