Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Question on packages  (Read 2601 times)

Javi-Wan Kenobi

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Question on packages
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:59:28 AM »

I have a little question concerning packages.
My game has music and voices, but, since the distribution channel may have size restrictions, I've made several package folders: The main game data package, the localized texts and images package, the localiced voices package and the music package.
If someone wants, for exampple, to have a "lighter" version of the game, he can download only the two first packages.
Then, when the scripts arrives to a "Talk" sentence, I understand it searchs the file in the "speech" folder (which is in the voices package) and if it doesn't find it, it just present the text on screen and it works OK.
It works the same way with the music? If it doesn't find the file, it just skip the line and works OK?

Another question a little harder.
I have an Options menu window in which the player can select to show or not show the subtitles. Since the player may download or not the voices package, I want to disable the buttons when he only has the main packages, and enable them only when he has the voices package.
My idea is having the options.script file with the disabled buttons in the main data package, and another options.script file with the enabled buttons in the voices package, which will overwrite or replace someway the previous file. Is that possible?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:11:49 AM by Javi-Wan Kenobi »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Question on packages
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:33:56 AM »

It works the same way with the music? If it doesn't find the file, it just skip the line and works OK?
Yup, you'll get log warning about missing files, but it will work.

My idea is having the options.script file with the disabled buttons in the main data package, and another options.script file with the enabled buttons in the voices package, which will overwrite or replace someway the previous file. Is that possible?
Yes, it's possible. But perhaps a more elegant way would be to use the Game.FileExists() method to check whether some of the files contained in the respective package is present (e.g. some music file is not present means the music package isn't installed) and enable/disable the controls appropriately.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Javi-Wan Kenobi

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Question on packages
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »

Thanks

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.