Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Something about the inventory  (Read 5819 times)

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
Something about the inventory
« on: June 28, 2003, 10:33:17 AM »

There's any way to do a free position inventory like the one in Ultima VII for example, instead of the actual cell-based inventory?

It's just curiosity, I don't have any problem with the actual inventory, I only thought that it could be cool to make a different inventory, to have something different from all the graphic adventure games...  ;D

Click here to sign my sig!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Something about the inventory
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 09:25:03 AM »

Well, of course you don't need to use the default inventory support; it's there just to make your life easier. Lot of things could be done using the GUI layer + scripting. Although the Ultima style inventory could be quite tricky to do, I think...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

creatorbri

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 07:54:00 AM »

I'm just waiting for the day Jan re-implements 3D entities and makes it possible to do an inventory like that of Grim Fandango. :)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 09:10:38 AM »

I'm just waiting for the day Jan re-implements 3D entities and makes it possible to do an inventory like that of Grim Fandango. :)

Oh please NOT! :) I really loved Grim Fandango, but the inventory was horrible... ! BTW McCoy started a nice alternative inventory in his Fred demo using the GUI layers.
Mooh!

creatorbri

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2003, 05:24:55 PM »

Hey, whats wrong with the Grim Fandango inventory? :) I found it to be very easy to use, and of course it was much more immersive/realistic than a window popping up on the screen.

Edit: Where can I find a sample of this alternative inventory you're talking about?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 05:25:35 PM by irbrian »

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 06:56:10 PM »

Hey, whats wrong with the Grim Fandango inventory? :) I found it to be very easy to use, and of course it was much more immersive/realistic than a window popping up on the screen.

It is really slow to choose the desired item. A game that had a lot of objects would be nearly unplayable. (That's my oppinion. I don't know what Jerrot's thoughts are.)

Edit: Where can I find a sample of this alternative inventory you're talking about?

http://forbidden.adventuredevelopers.com/

Download the demo. It's a precompiled version, but McCoy has said that he will release the sources someday.
fl*p

creatorbri

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 10:06:50 PM »

I believe there are actually hotkeys to access any item in the inventory -- basically there are 9 or 10 slots and a key corresponded to each. For instance, 0 always corresponded to Manny's scythe. It certainly wouldn't be ideal for games with large numbers of items, but I'm not saying it would work for every game, only that it would be cool in a game where the style was appropriate. In the case of Grim Fandango, the style was most appropriate.

I'm downloading the demo now, I'll take a look and contribute my thoughts.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.