Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Can WME do these things?  (Read 3000 times)

Sir-Kill

• 3ds guy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Can WME do these things?
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:54:35 AM »

I have been using wme for almost a week and it is really intriguing it looks like this engine can do most things that I would like it to tho I have some concerns

I do not need to know how it is done just,
Can wme:

1. Simulate a fog of war? line/distance of sight covering actors/animations outside of that range.

2. Have animations as: attack, Get hit, die, sleep, and get up, ect.

3. Have actors visually carry/equip items and armor (if so, would this be done via actor.AddAttachment or by animated frames

4. Have items that have: bonuses, penalties

5. Have actors: join team/leave team

I would love to make a rpg like baldurs gate tho a bit smaller in game size. estimating at least 1/2 decade of work and that is with help. :P

BTW what is the max size of background images that WME can handle? 3840x3840+ would be nice

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Can WME do these things?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »

1. Simulate a fog of war? line/distance of sight covering actors/animations outside of that range.
I suppose so, using some alpha-channelled images covering part of the screen. I never implemented anything like this, but it should be possible.

2. Have animations as: attack, Get hit, die, sleep, and get up, ect.
Yes.

3. Have actors visually carry/equip items and armor (if so, would this be done via actor.AddAttachment or by animated frames
Yes, using attachments (we're talking about 3D actors, right?).

4. Have items that have: bonuses, penalties
5. Have actors: join team/leave team
Nothing will stop you from scripting those.

BTW what is the max size of background images that WME can handle? 3840x3840+ would be nice
WME won't prevent you from loading such image, but keep in mind it will take a lot of memory. Perhaps it would be better to divide the "map" into several segments and only load those that are currently visible.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Sir-Kill

• 3ds guy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »

1. hmm each would have to have a hotspot follow them (the white part of the alpha) up to 6 characters.
is that still possible?

2. excellent

3. well I was thinking about using 3d characters for many tho some 2d sprites but these might just be actors that do not use weapons/armor. If that is how it has to be done that is acceptable.

4-5.very good. lots of gui scripting coming my way :P

well BG areas do take awhile to load but after that there is really no lag on a 800mHz. computer except when multiple spell effects are playing simultaneously. 

Sir-Kill

• 3ds guy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:42:04 PM »

I suppose so, using some alpha-channelled images covering part of the screen. I never implemented anything like this, but it should be possible.

what about something like a tree or large bolder, could that obstruct that line of sight?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:10:47 PM »

I don't remember how exactly it worked in BG, but I can think of two approaches:
- either use some grid-based fog, and only cover/uncover some tiles, based on obstacles
- divide the fog into irregular shapes based on the background, and show/hide some of them based on the characters' positions (much more complex, as I aimagine)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.