Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Basic color blocking - Take #3 - Shading  (Read 8617 times)

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
Basic color blocking - Take #3 - Shading
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:37:46 AM »

Okay I started a basic paintover, using the technique of putting the sketch on a layer above the painting using multiply which basically means the white shows through and i can paint under the sketch lines.

I just decided to do it to show a friend, but if you're curious -- this part isn't even finished yet...  But I will work on it until it's perfect.

WIP 1

WIP 2

WIP 3

Actually the basic color blocking is generally complete until I get some feed back suggesting I change it before starting to apply shadows and so forth.

To make it less confusing, on the left side beside the computer desk is the dresser (it's the sort of light brown one).  Notice how it's shelves are more holes than shelves, they come to the edge and are seperated by the front of the dresser.  on the right side the gray thing is the bookcase, notice how the shelves are set in the case back from the edge.  Someone in the ags forums critic's lounge suggested I do this (maybe because of bad tangents or something) in any case I like it, it actually makes it look like a book case.

Basically this is the empty room before it gets all messy and the main character has to clean it up.  that's why there are no drawers in the dresser or books on the shelf.

The color choices are abit based on experience.  the dresser is a lighter wood, to contrast with the dark wood of the door and the trim, the bookcase is gray just to make it a bit different.  I made the desk something like mahogony or cherry, by adding a reddish tint, so that way it wasn't completely brown.  At one point in my life my walls were light blue with a light brown or tan floor (well the floor doesn't look tan exactly but close enough).  On the hole I think it's decent.  Note the dresser, bookcase, and door all have lighter tint on their sides, whereas the bed and the hamper and desk are darker on the sides facing the camera, not really sure if this is a good idea, but it makes me think that the foreground objects are closer to the camera, you can let me know if it isn't right.

Let's see... the hallway is on a single layer, the door is on it's own layer, the trim around door and closet are in it's own layer, trim around the bottom and outlet and switch are on it's own (same) layer... I basically put alot of things in their own layers, such as the insides of the bookcase, dresser, and desk... and then some of the sides.  the walls and the floor are the same as well... not really experienced with this software, using the gimp with a mouse but it seems to work.  at one time i thought of actually putting every white/negative space (any space bordered with lines to form a shape) on a seperate layer, but that may be overkill.
In fact this may be overkill.

I'll probably start working on the actual shading in a bit, the light is pretty much coming from the light bulb, that you can't see in the picture...  Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Keith
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:47:49 PM by Uhfgood »
--------------------------------------------
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: Basic color blocking on my background
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:23:15 PM »

Looks good so far, the only thing I'd perhaps change is the colour of the wall in the hallway, the pure white is a bit to bright compared to the rest of the scene.

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »

thanks Nihil, I will look into it.  I wanted the hallway to be white, but maybe i can make it an off-white and not nearly as bright.
Keith Weatherby II
Games Afoot Software

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »

Okay so basically i had another go at it.  I changed a few of the colors, I straighted some lines, it's almost starting to look decent.  Tell me what you think.

First one with the line drawing removed.

Second with 50% lines

Third fully opaque line drawing over the top.

Give me suggestions, thoughts, or opinions.
Keith
Keith Weatherby II
Games Afoot Software

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
Re: Basic color blocking - Take #2
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »

my suggestion would be remove the sketch lines and replace them with more linear semi-thick black lines. i think it would fit better to the flat filling of the colours
so your layout would become more grafical, but i dont know if you want to achive something like this.
greets
stucki

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
Re: Basic color blocking - Take #2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, stucki - the lines will be removed, I will be adding some outline stuff to define stuff more, but afterwards within gimp (as i've just got gimp and a mouse and no money for photoshop or a tablet :-)

It's by no means finished, i will add shading and shadows and finally the lines back over, and some detailing.

Keith
Keith Weatherby II
Games Afoot Software

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
Re: Basic color blocking - Take #3 - Shading
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:48:15 PM »

I'm really in uncharted territory here now -- shading.  I attempted a few things, one is the walls, basically the light is more or less coming from directly overhead... more towards the dresser than the foreground objects.

I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be doing here.  I have an idea of where the light source is, and i'm purposely not adding shadows yet.  The walls, and the side of the dresser (the one on the left)  I tried to do two things on the dresser, one is have it go from dark (that upper lip on the side) to light, as there's a bit of a shadow, but even that is probably incorrect since the light is above.  The other thing is the walls... local shading on the walls, dark towards the bottom lighter at the top.  I started with a little "burning", and then used the smudge tool to mush it out..  Also on the dresser I tried to add a highlight to the top of the dresser itself.

Really I just want some suggestions.  Ideas and tutorials on shading digitally (not shadows) and specifically using the mouse... I don't have a tablet nor money to buy one.

Thanks,
Keith
Keith Weatherby II
Games Afoot Software

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

An easy way to sketch out your shading for cartoon looking areas is to try uses a painted layer mask. ..  Remember that most cartooning has NO shading... just a simple 2-3 colour grade.. like what you have done on the bookcases.

I am not sure how to do this in other programs but this is how you do it in photoshop.
1) Simply copy your image into a new layer and place it ontop of your old layer.
2) Select "Layers/Add layer Mask/Hide Layer" (This should add a all black layer mask to the layer, making it invisible)
3) Start to paint on the layer mask in the white brush. Where ever you place the white , the image from your darkend layer will show. This createing the shaded effect.

By using a very soft brush you will not get any hard edges, and you can delete by just switching to black brush again.

This way you can very quickly sketch out your darkened colour spots visually to get an idea of where you want to go.

Remember for a cartoon look you prob want harder lines in the end.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

tripper1977

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:20:04 PM »

can i just ask wot paint software do you use nice pic must of taken a long time

do you have eney tips on drawing could do with the help thanks

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.