Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Direct X model facing wrong way  (Read 6086 times)

ARSoftware

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ARSoftware
Direct X model facing wrong way
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »

I have a model set up in Fragmotion that faces the right way (according to the top, front, back, etc, buttons), but after exporting it for use in WME the model stands backwards.

According to the Fragmotion forums the problem is due to a left-hand, right-hand coordinate system. I'm assuming then that WME and Fragmotion use different coordinate systems (also true of Milkshape, apparently).

Has anyone else noticed this and is there anything that can be done short of rotating the entire model and animation sequences in Fragmotion?

Or, is there a more compatible bones animation/modeller that I can use (as easy as Fragmotion). Oh, and I've tried Blender and I don't get on well with the UI.

Thanks in advance.

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Direct X model facing wrong way
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »

I had a similar problems with model alignment... I am unfamiliar with that app you are using but i fixed by snapshotting the mesh (making a copy of it with all transforms deleted.. so everything is at 0,0.0) and then reapplying the skin.

every time i tried to rotate the model and export i would get wierd things happening in WME, until i did this and it was fixed.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

ARSoftware

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ARSoftware
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:24:13 PM »

Yeah, I tried apply a Mirror All in Fragmotion and when the model was imported into WME the character had been squished and was badly distorted.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

Are you using the latest version of fragmotion? I remember some older versions of the X exporter contained a bug and were exporting the models mirrored.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

ARSoftware

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ARSoftware
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:50:01 PM »

Yes, I'm using the newest 0.91 version. Downloaded a few weeks ago.

raychaser

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

Sorry if this sounds obvious but I solved this problem by just modeling and animating things backwards. The first thing I do when importing into fragmotion is to rotate the mesh 180 degrees on the vertical axis. Then I animate it as I normally would. This seems to solve the problem and all I need to remember is that back=front when I'm switching views in Fragmotion.

If only exporting from blender was as easy.... I spent a good 10 hours trying to get bones and animations out of it with 4 different .x exporters. No love. Fragmotion seems to be the next best thing though  :-\

ARSoftware

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • ARSoftware
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »

Hmm, thats what I thought. I hoped there was a better way, the problem is the bvh files I have are obviously forward facing and so would be backwards to the model.

I'll have to have a play and see if I can rotate the bones animations as well. Or, I guess complete the model the correct way round (animations included), and then rotate everything.

Thanks for the help.

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »

it is totaly the xyz world units of the base mesh.... snapshot it or reset thetransforms before you add the skin and you are done.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

raychaser

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 04:46:53 AM »

Looks like I answered too quickly. Seems like I am getting some distortion in WME import that I am not getting in the directx viewers I have. I will file a bug report on this one shortly.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.