Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Possible To Develop For 3D Engine Without Complete Import?  (Read 4408 times)

HarryTuttle

• Lurker
    • View Profile

I have been following Wintermute for quite a while and have been getting together all my assets for a game.

What I wanted to know is, can I import a rendered static scene and configure the entire environment including 3D object, lights and shadows without actually having the import from Blender set up correctly? Can I manually through the IDE of the designer configure my 3D environment to match the static image, import my 3D actor in .X, then set up my blocking/solid regions, even foreground areas with lighting?

So all I am importing is 3D scenes as bitmaps, then placing my lights and shadows, blocking areas and walkable regions?

I don't like to work in Blender, I think the interface is insanely unproductive and I much prefer Poser 7 or Bryce 6.6 to do my rendering with. I don't think I will be able to get all the labels right for importing everything in those programs but I am willing to do it myself through the designer/scripting.

Is this possible with Wintermute?

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: Possible To Develop For 3D Engine Without Complete Import?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »

No, but for realtime 3d Characters you can forget Bryce and Poser anyway as none of the two is able to export to .x (and Poser characters are way to high-poly anyway).

As for the interface, Blender is a bit unusual, but compared to Bryce and especially Poser (which has the worst interface in the whole history of 3d :-) ) it's really another league as it's a real 3d program compared to - sorry- toys like Bryce and Poser. Poser is cool for 2d games though, especially if you can't model your own characters (like me).

You are not limited to Blender though, there are many other apps that can export .x

HarryTuttle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »

You didn't understand the question.

I wasn't asking if I could import .X characters from other tools besides Blender.

I was asking if I could set up my own 3D scenes from inside the designer, given a good quality static 3D background bitmap image to import. By that I mean import an image, then set up my own lights, my own blocking and my own solid/walkable regions.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »

You can edit the 2D parts of the scene in SceneEdit, including 2D blocked regions and waypoints. Lights, cameras and walkplane need to be imported from 3DS file.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

HarryTuttle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »

You can edit the 2D parts of the scene in SceneEdit, including 2D blocked regions and waypoints. Lights, cameras and walkplane need to be imported from 3DS file.

Is there any provision there to create your own lights and place them in the scene? What about setting up the camera angle and walkplane through script?

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »

you can't do that from script.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.