Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: First Person tutorial?  (Read 8576 times)

St Anger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
First Person tutorial?
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

I have this game that I want to make that is going to use a first person perspective similar to the newer "Carol Reed" games. Like "MDNA Games", I have released a couple of games with "Adventurer Maker" and now decided to make the next one with "Wintermute engine".

Problem is that I don't have really know how to make a functional First Person game. I have gone through various tutorials and downloaded the invisible character, but still I can't really wrap my head around this. As you have might understand at this point, I don't really have any experience with scripting which make it extra difficult for me to work with this engine(The WME BOOK is just a huge ? for me).

So what I'm asking is if there is any in depth tutorials on how to make a First Person game or if someone is willing to make one? It tends to be a lot easier for me to learn if I have a basic structure to work with, instead of working in the blind and guess on how to make something. 

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
Re: First Person tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »

I always thought it's enough to simply remove the actor from the game, and remove the LeftClick / actor.walkto lines from the game scripts.

Am I wrong?

St Anger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »

I always thought it's enough to simply remove the actor from the game, and remove the LeftClick / actor.walkto lines from the game scripts.

Am I wrong?

It's probably so, but somehow I tend to screw things up without knowing why(Especially when changing scenes which shouldn't be complicated) ;). As I wrote before, I don't really like to experiment to much if I don't have any clue what to do. Most tutorials and guides for "Wintermute" are(For obvious reasons) for Third Person games and a lot that is written in those tutorials doesn't always work well in a FP game.

The biggest reason why I asked for a FP tutorial, is that I don't like spamming the forums every time I run into some tiny trouble.   

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »

Actually, you should simply check out the demo projects in WME. Just to get knowledge of the standard scripts, like game.script, scene.script and so on.

If you then want to try a FP Game, simply start removing the actor from the scene_init.script of the Demo room for example. Then you also have to remove the "LeftClick" action in the scene.script ( in the main scripts folder ), to aviod the actor walking of course.

If you look into the script for Objects, like the book.script for example, you'll notice that in every action ( like "LeftClick", "LookAt" or whatever ), there's first a line which tells the actor to walk to that object. This line can be safely removed in your case.

If you did that, you actually have a first person game.

As for talking, usually you use actor.Talk("Blah"); in your scripts. Since you don't have an actor, you can add a simple entity to your scene. Entitys can "talk" to, so that problem is solved too.

That's all you have to check as far as I know.

And don't be afraid of spamming the forum, it's here for help :) Just check out the WME Tutorials and the Wiki before you answer questions that are clearly answered there.

Spellbreaker

St Anger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can start making something playable with the tips you gave me. But with my luck, I will create something that causes computer crashes or a hole in the spacetime continuum ;)

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »

You cannot crash your computer. The other thing....I don't know...maybe....ask Doc Brown. :)

St Anger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:15:29 PM »

You cannot crash your computer. The other thing....I don't know...maybe....ask Doc Brown. :)

Hmmmm...maybe I should try to connect this flux capacitor to my computer; to see if it can make Wintermute go faster? ;D

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

I know you mentioned that the WME Book confuses you but I strongly urge you to start reading it, at least the parts that you currently do not understand. It is not complete yet but it will give you a general idea. As Spellbreaker said, after you learn the basics, it will not be difficult to turn a third person game to first person.

Perhaps some regular posters who have worked on 1st person games can help you further (like metamorphium who has created Ghost in the sheet).

St Anger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

I know you mentioned that the WME Book confuses you but I strongly urge you to start reading it, at least the parts that you currently do not understand. It is not complete yet but it will give you a general idea. As Spellbreaker said, after you learn the basics, it will not be difficult to turn a third person game to first person.

Perhaps some regular posters who have worked on 1st person games can help you further (like metamorphium who has created Ghost in the sheet).

I'll probably read it again pretty soon to see if I can get past the beginning. That's the hardest part because all the info it dump with very little context(Or it's just me who can't see it). 

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »

It's much better just to blindly follow the tutorial-like steps in the book for starters. The context is almost impossible to grab at the beginning since it's overwhelming when you approach the engine for the first time. First get the feeling for the engine and how it works by doing working and functional examples and later on understand the engine itself.

At least with this thought in my mind I've written that book.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

St Anger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »

Ohhhh a post from the author himself :o

It's always hard to discuss what is the proper way to teach something. Some people learn by reading, while other learns by blind experimentation. Me, I learn by watching(aka Tutorials, preferably video tutorials).

Anyhow, time to actually read that book and see if I can get something into my thick skull. 

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.