Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: DirectWalk and uneven walkplane  (Read 2801 times)

appaul

• Lurker
    • View Profile
DirectWalk and uneven walkplane
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »

Hi
First off, great engine. Been slowly learning the past few months and I am constantly surprised by the versatility and speed of it.

I'm using a direct control script for keyboard using DirectWalk on VK_UP and such, and everything seems to work fine except that my 3d actor won't move past parts of the walk plane that have a height greater than 0.
With the mouse (using GoTo), they move past and even walk on top of them (changing the actor's PosY accordingly), but with the keyboard they just get stuck. These slopes are tiny (compared to the actor) and are only 1.0-1.5 units above 0, which is where the majority of the geometry of the walk plane sits.

actor.PosY seems to be stuck to 0 when using the DirectWalk or maybe it constantly drops to floor. Am I missing something?
Is there any way to set some sort of tolerance for changes in height? I eventually want to add ramps in my geometry file (for stairs) but that won't be possible until I resolve this it seems. At least not with the keyboard.

I also tried rewriting the script to use GoTo3D and GoTo3DAsync instead of DirectWalk... and while it solves this problem, I can't get past the problem of the walk animation starting over and over again while the key is down. It also made handling velocity a lot more complicated, especially as it relates to scale.

I've looked through the forums and the documentation, but can't find anything that might help. I really hope I didn't just miss it. If I did, I apologize.
Anyway, I would really appreciate any help.

ciberspace

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Tele Juego
Re: DirectWalk and uneven walkplane
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:55 AM »

The DROP_TO_FLOOR property specifies that the actor is always standing/walking on the walkplane, no matter what its original Y coordinate was. You may need to set this property to FALSE for things such as birds or butterflies.

appaul

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: DirectWalk and uneven walkplane
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:20:12 AM »

Thanks for the help. It's not exactly what I was talking about, but it's okay. I guess I wasn't being clear.

I realize now I was actually being pretty silly, I was trying to solve it through pure script. I realized I could just fix the geometry so that the walkplane is completely flat and redefine my geometry definition file so the shadow falls on the floor with all the little slopes and not the walkplane.
Hope that made sense.

In any case, I just worked around the issue. Though I still find it weird that DirectWalk doesn't seem to have any tolerance for changes in walkplane altitude, while GoTo seems to...

Anyway, thanks again.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.