Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: How do I make a climbable trellis for a 2.5D game?  (Read 2944 times)

Darcnyss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How do I make a climbable trellis for a 2.5D game?
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:14:34 AM »

Hi all.
I have been working on a 2.5D adventure for the last few months, and have run into a bit of a snag near the end of my project, and am hoping that someone here can help me fix my problem.

A scene in my game requires the player to climb a trellis, and be able to move freely on it to find the correct place to put a small camera, based on a reference photgraph you find earlier in the game.

The problem I am having at the moment is due to the fact that WME doesn't seem to support multiple walkplanes(at least in my experience, please correct me if I am wrong), and, this being a vertical surface as well, is giving me quite the headache in trying to figure out the best way to implement this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

The answer is probably very simple, and I might probably end up kicking myself for not seeing it, but hey, it won't be the first time.  :P

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: How do I make a climbable trellis for a 2.5D game?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »

WME does support multiple walkplanes. The actor will stick to the nearest one. So basically you'd need two planes, one for the bottom part, one for the top part, and the climbing would be just an animation after which you'd modify the actor's vertical position. That should work, I think.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Darcnyss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make a climbable trellis for a 2.5D game?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »

Hi Mnemonic. Thank you for the reply, and also, thank you for creating such an awesome adventure game engine. It's truly everything I need to bring the ideas in my head to life! The reason I was having trouble with multiple walkplanes was because, for some strange reason, my software was not exporting the second plane.  I no longer have that problem, and will try your advice as soon as I get home.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 23 queries.