Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Dreamfall  (Read 8277 times)

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
Dreamfall
« on: May 14, 2004, 02:09:07 PM »

I really liked "The Longest Journey", and it seems "Dreamfall" is not that different from it, so I think I'd like it... And moreover, there's not going to be much more adventure titles released this year I'm afraid, so if this one is close to The Longest Journey in its plot, I'll buy it for sure. The game universe is the same so I think it would be. I just hope it'll not be cancelled as everything these days!!

So, what do you think of this game? What do you spect?

For the people who don't know what I'm talking about...

http://www.dreamfall.com/

http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=162

Click here to sign my sig!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Dreamfall
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 05:25:05 PM »

Yep, Dreamfall is looking better and better. I also loved the original TLJ so I hope this will be a worthy sequel. Although gaming press often mentions it as an "action-adventure" hopefully it will be more adventure than action. And btw April looks kinda...different now, doesn't she? :)

After the S&M2 and Gray Matter cancellation this is one of the few upcoming AAA adventures left. Funcom, don't let us down!
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »

Well, April looks so different because... she's not April  ;D.

The new main character is called Z
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 06:32:17 PM by McCoy »

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 06:33:29 PM »

Oh, and it's going to be released in mid-2005, not 2004  :'(, Sorry, my mistake

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 06:49:15 PM »

Actually I was talking about this image of April :)

http://www.dreamfall.com/characters/april/
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 06:54:41 PM »

Ahh, I see, I didn't check the official site to be honest, just readed the magazine's report  ;D.

Well, after all, now she's a "disillusioned woman, trapped in a world that was never her home." So maybe that's why she chosed the "goth" side? :P

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 07:39:09 PM »

I LOVED TLJ so I am more than curious about Dreamfall.
Hmmm yeah April looks kinda different. Maybe being trapped in that strange tower/chamber for 10 years you just lose your tan and need a lot of paint to look colourful.

Anyway TLJ was already a great game and I am confident that they are not that stupid to do a MI4 interface.

Actually the whole page and game design (that is visible) extremely reminds me of Final Fantasy.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 09:07:59 PM »

Yeah, it looks very, very promising...
...and I will go down to Funcom and shoot every single person, if they follow the current trend to cancel the project.  :-X ;)

Actually it's #1 on my personal Hype-O-Meter, TLJ was outstanding for my personal taste. Sometimes a little much text, but it would have been fine if I'd only be able to play it completely without break. (And I wished I could... :) !)

I was in love with April "I look... like a serving maid", but IMHO she looks cool ten years after.

Some german adventure site had the chance to play (!) a special preview and they will get a full preview the next days (I wonder why the game comes in 2005 then... well...). They said, you should forget about that "action" discussion, it's an pure real adventure game. And I trust those guys... yet :)
Mooh!

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »

Like the rest of you, I liked TLJ a lot but I had been moderately pessimistic regarding Dreamfall up until yesterday. After reading what Evan Dickens from AG had to say about it from E3, a cautious optimism has started to grow in me.

As I got it, the reason for all the Action/Adventure confusion regarding Dreamfall is because Funcom is using interviews to advertise and promote their game. Because of that, when they talk to a general gaming magazine, they say it's full of action, fights and stuff but when they talk to an Adventure specialized site, they say most Action parts can be solved in a non-Actiony way as well, and that the entire game is actually an Adventure with a few action-packed sequences and nothing more. Go figure.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. One thing's for sure, for me, Dreamfall is the most interesting Adventure showing in E3 this year. All the rest is ranging from "mildly interesting and we'll see what comes out of this" (e.g. Still Life and Fahrenheit - which is pretty Actiony) to "terribly lame" (e.g. most of TAC's lineup).

Some german adventure site had the chance to play (!) a special preview and they will get a full preview the next days (I wonder why the game comes in 2005 then... well...). They said, you should forget about that "action" discussion, it's an pure real adventure game. And I trust those guys... yet :)
What German site is it?

Regarding personal Hype-O-Meters, Dreamfall is up there in mine as well together with Moment of Silence, Legacy: Dark Shadows and BASS2. Does it show that I'm a Sci-Fi freak :)?

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 10:53:30 PM »

As I got it, the reason for all the Action/Adventure confusion regarding Dreamfall is because Funcom is using interviews to advertise and promote their game. Because of that, when they talk to a general gaming magazine, they say it's full of action, fights and stuff but when they talk to an Adventure specialized site, they say most Action parts can be solved in a non-Actiony way as well, and that the entire game is actually an Adventure with a few action-packed sequences and nothing more. Go figure.

That's exactly what I read about it. Blast the action interviews - it will be great! I can't beliebe Funcom will destroy this Hype by a low story.  IMHO TLJ was one of the best (if not THE best) pure adventures since LucasArts and Broken Sword 1/2.

What German site is it?

http://www.adventure-treff.de - the nonplusultra reference. ;)

Regarding personal Hype-O-Meters, Dreamfall is up there in mine as well together with Moment of Silence, Legacy: Dark Shadows and BASS2. Does it show that I'm a Sci-Fi freak :)?

now... you're welcome in the club. ;)
Mooh!

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.