Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Truetype fonts  (Read 8989 times)

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Orange Brat Shenanigans™
Truetype fonts
« on: December 19, 2004, 12:06:10 PM »

I'd like to be able to use TTF in WME one day. We'd also be able to toggle outlines, shadow, bold, underline, italic, etc. Not sure if it's already a long term goal, but nothing popped up in a search(except a discussion on Chinese characters from almost a year ago).
The Disenfranchised™ - coming later

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Truetype fonts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 12:24:11 PM »

I don't know Mnemonic's thoughts about this so I'll comment on the other aspects of your post.
You can also have shadows, bold, etc now with the bitmap fonts. You just have to create more .font files.
For (most of?) the features that are currently in Mnemonics' head you can check this list http://dead-code.org/todo.txt
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 12:26:40 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »

True, but there's nothing like the convenience of TTF. ;) For example, in the 3d engine I use we have both bitmapped fonts and TTF. When it comes to defining either one, it is very similar.  Something akin to "font arial_font = "Arial",1,20;" where "arial_font" is the name followed by the font filename, style and size. The difference, of course, is that with TTF there's no need to fiddle with creating the bitmap, plus you gain the benefit of super crisp characters.  A downside is that not everyone may have your font on their system, but a) you stick with one that ships with Windows(Arial, Verdana, for example) or you make sure to include the font with your game(and make sure you have permission or license for commercial use if need be). Anywho, I hope one day we'll be able to use them.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 06:32:46 PM »

It is a trap. A real trap. Why? Because huge brains in Micro$oft, who did the localization. Eg. in Czech Windows (regardles of the version) you will get angry customers not able to play your game. I solved something like this for Jonathan in Darkfall 2, which is written in Shockwave Director. Whenever you use TTF fonts on Czech windows, game simply crashes. I found out after some months of research, that it's incorrect implementation of fonts into localized windows. I for one would never use ttf solution again knowing this, because bitmap fonts are safe to use everywhere. Also the same bug appears with Chessmaster software.

So for me this is a huge no - no.

Btw. the problem can be solved if you switch your system to english regional setting.  :)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

I didn't know that, but Czech Windows most likely doesn't acct for a very large % of Windows OS worldwide. Having the option would still be viable for the rest of us.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 08:09:36 AM »

TrueType support is planned, mainly because it seems to be one of the few feasible ways of supporting double-byted characters.

I have to agree with metamorphium, though. Having worked in game localization business for some time, I'm not a big fan of TrueType fonts in games. I have seen some mysterious errors where Windows was using different font than it was supposed to on certain machines, or using different codepage etc. Not to mention it's much harder to modify TrueType font than modifying bitmap fonts when you decide to support other languages than western.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »

I have to reinstall Cubase periodically, because for some reason it stops supporting the TrueType font that contains sheet music symbols, and repaces it with Windings -symbols...

Not exactly related, but I just wanted to vent. >:D

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 05:15:49 PM »

Orange: well, the point is not in Czech windows but in localized windows. It's a difference. You don't know if it can appear also in Russian windows, French windows, Chinese windows, whatever. So basically it's not a wise idea to use technology which will work only on some segment of systems. On the other hand, if you don't plan to release your game worldwide and especially if it will be freeware, it doesn't matter. If you plan to sell your game,  your tech support could have problems... :)

And what is the most important: this ttf error didn't manifest itself as a ttf error. It simply crashed. So you will spend google of time just trying to find bugs in your code which is completely innocent. Just my experience and 2 cents. (scents :))
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 12:54:40 PM »

Well, I've learned something I didn't know in this thread. It looks like fixed width bitmap fonts are the way to go. I think TTF have a place in the development process for use as quick and dirty placeholders(when no bitmap is readily available). I'll have to hunt around and see if there are any 3rd party programs that will convert a TTF into a fixed width bitmap font file. That would be a nice WME utility somewhere down the line.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 01:04:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 01:12:34 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 02:34:53 PM »

Thanks for the links...that'll save me a bit of time. 

I'm not sure exactly how broad my distribution will be but I will want support for both western and non-western characters so I hope one of these(or possibly another) will allow for both without much hassle. Thanks again.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.