Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Crossfading more than two channels at the same time - why not?  (Read 3133 times)

liu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Crossfading more than two channels at the same time - why not?
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »

Hi

I'm using Game.MusicCrossfade() method to smoothly switch between scene music themes. I tried to do this also with ambient themes in the same time (I'm using channels 0 and 1 for music and channels 2 and 3 for ambient) and I found that there is no possibility to crossfade between music channels and ambient channels simultaneously (both music and ambient themes are played using Game.PlayMusicChannel() method). There is a script runtime error - crossfading is already in progress. IMHO there should be no problems to crossfade two different pairs of music channels in the same time. But it seems it is, isn't it? How about improving Game.MusicCrossfade() method in order to enable such a functionality.

Regards,
liu

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Crossfading more than two channels at the same time - why not?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »

it's very easy to script this by hand, so IMO it's not worth the engine change. Simply attach script which would decrease volume of one channel while at the same time increase volume of the other.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

liu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »

Of course it's easy and that's exactly what I did before posting previous message. On the other hand, what's the purpose to use Game.MusicCrossfade() method if it's easy to "script this by hand"? I mean if some method is already implemented it should be good enough so that it doesn't make sense to write it once again. My conclusion is - what for is this method if it doesn't work the way it should? OK, I've complained a bit but please don't take it to serious :-)

Regards,

liu

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:13:49 AM »

liu, the method does what it should do IMO. Crossfading multiple music tracks is not a common task (most people need crossfading of exactly two tracks because of transitions) and as an uncommon thing it's still totally easy to script. If all options had to be implemented, the engine would become IMO too overfilled with parameters etc. So I rather script a line or two myself than having to fill overly complex method definitions each time I need to use a simple method.

That's of course only my personal view and I can't speak for engine creator (Mnemonic). ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

manarius

• Lurker
  • node it. node it all together my brethren :)
    • View Profile
    • Thats one of our Games :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »

have to agree, meta.

i also prefer a slim and fast engine, which is easily able to be "taught" something new.

sorry for:  ::hijack but this is important:

but, if you have any scripts you think should be integrated in the engine, just codesnippet it and post it in the forum,
that way, over time, most of the commonly used scripts will gather for simple copy&paste use   0:)

that's what makes free to test software tools the best thing to make any kind of application, because the users of the engines keep the spirit of the engines creators in mind.

btw, thanks to all of you who already shared their scripts with us humble scriptors, you all: ::rock !!!

enough:  ::hijack

cheers,
manarius
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:14:43 PM by manarius »

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.