Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Alpha color on windows  (Read 3757 times)

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
  • FORGET REALITY SURRENDER TO YOUR DARKEST DREAMS
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
Alpha color on windows
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:49:31 AM »

Hi,
    What is the correct syntax for changing a windows Alpha color.

winWINDOW.AlphaColor ??

I want it to change to RGB value  = 167,189,163

kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
Re: Alpha color on windows
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:22:39 AM »

Its ok have sorted this now. But I had to search the forum rather than the help text to get the correct syntax.

Just as an observation and maybe a request , it would be very nice if after the commands in the help document there is an example of how the code should be formed. (on every command)

Most help manuals on programming give at least this.

This would reduce forum questions and make the learning process quicker and more structured.

As I said only an observation.
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:08:47 AM »

What's wrong with searching the forum? I consider the forum a valid extension to the documentation. By simply typing "AlphaColor" to the quick search field in board index you immediately get a dozen posts showing the right syntax...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:29:34 AM »

This is fine if there a topic relating to the search, but with all the lovely commands in WME the help text could be more descriptive and more of a Help book rather than a list of commands and a brief description.

I have looked at many game designers, from AMOS PRO on the AMIGA to FPS & 3DGAMESTUDIO on the PC, This software is definately the most flexible to its task. But the only thing I think that lets it down some what is the Help document.

The forum is fantastic and the people are very helpful, the amount of times I have looked at the help first then gone on to the forum to get help has always been rewarding. But somtimes I am not able to get online but still work on my project (laptop etc) and all I have is the HELP document.

Just an observation to make the wonderful WME a more rounded piece of software for newcomers etc.

I am sure there are commands that people overlook and that could be exploited in their projects and make them better, but these commands are sometimes overlooked because of their descriptive obscurity.

The same goes with the tools, SCENE EDIT, SPRITE EDIT are excellent tools but I bet not alot of people understand certain uses of them, for example the HELP document details the use of FREE entities, How are these different from normal entities in the main list?? to be honest I have never used them, and still use scene entities for tables, chairs etc that are masked, blocked etc and it all works fine. But perhaps thats wrong? again I have nothing to base it on apart from tried and tested scenes.

I could go on for ages about excellent options that are not used 100% because of the lack of material based on them.

Do not get me wrong I love WME and what you and the forum have created, Best software I have used in an age, just would be nice to print off the help sit down and have a kind of WME Bible that reflects the product 100% so I could read up on commands and different uses of the tool set.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ::rock  ::beer

kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »

Well, I for myself in 99% of cases rely only on documentation and I found it very sufficient. To be honest
I have sometimes feeling that you actually don't search or read the help file enough.

For example in your last windows question, it's clearly defined in the help file that:

TRANSPARENT - the window marked as transparent doesn't receive click events, all the mouse clicks go through

In the current case you easily see, that

"AlphaColor - in window object RGBA Specifies an RGBA color of this object (overrides scene coloring); set to 0 to reset default behavior." and subsequential doc file search for RGBA reveals global function MakeRGBA(R, G, B, A)
"Packs the Red, Green, Blue and Alpha color values into one number"

So your answer would have been

some_window.AlphaColor = MakeRGBA(167,189,163,128);

Moreover even your question is wrong. You didn't understood the problematics of RGBA because in your first post you assume to supply for AlphaColor only 3 values which is pure RGB, you ommited the Alpha value which was probably the main reason why you tried this in the first place?

Also functionality of SpriteEdit is thoroughly discussed in the beginning part of the documentation (Inside a game) which explains how one should use the WME dev. Kit.

So don't get me wrong, but we're really trying to be helpful here, but shifting blame on Documentation without actually reading it is little bit strange. There is of course always room for improvement but we all have our own projects and so far nobody complains that much about documentation. WME also have a wiki page for tutorials et. alt. so those who think that the documentation is not enough can post their little tutorials too.

The problem as I see is that you would like to have the basic gaming / graphics / programming concepts explained or being provided with fully functional code. Then the question is, why won't you get a help of some programmer who would put a lot of stress from you?

Bottom line is that I don't think putting full code examples into doc would be that helpful, because even then people will keep complaining why this code snippet for this or that is not provided until the documentation won't contain the full code for the whole variety of games. :)

I don't want the whole tone of this post to sound harsh at all. I just wanted you to look at things from a bit different perspective. It's usually much better to understand concepts and then coding them than mindlessly copy/paste code ala MSDN and then crying about unfunctioning code because of the lack of understanding. ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:52:33 AM »

Of course the documentation could be better. As meta said, there's always space for improvement, no matter what you do. But it's not an easy thing to do and it costs time, a lot of time actually. And if I'm to choose if I should work on improving the engine or the documentation, the engine always wins. My time is limited and I'm sure you understand I can't do everything. It would be nice if the community helped me a bit, by being more supportive to each other on this forum and by contributing to WME Wiki, but unfortunately very few people do that, so the burden lies mostly on me. I'm not complaining, just stating the facts.

I realize that sometimes it's hard to leverage all the functionality WME is packed with, and my long term plan is to improve the tools to make it easier even for beginners/non-coders to get into WME development.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »

Many thanks for your comments, I will try the WME wiki tutorials and delve deeper into the HELP document and if all else fails  I know I can rely on the great feedback I get from the forum.

Sometimes frustration sets in when it should not.

Again many thanks
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.